Friday, January 30, 2009

End of the week and what were you talking about???

LOL So I confused you guys with the last post, eh? muuuhahhahahaaaa....

Let me try to undo a bit of the confusion. :] FOW is Fairy Odd World (Lo throws shoe at Yo because she already knows that.).

A podcast is basically a pre-recorded radio show. Some are live, but not mine. Podproducer is a computer program I use to create them. Sadly, stupid new pc won't let me use that software.

Gemara is Talmud which is the oral part of the Law that was given to Moses on Mt. Sinai. So what's the oral part? Welp, the Torah tells us to keep Shabbat, but it doesn't tell how. That's because Hashem explained it to Moses and he simply told everyone else. It didn't need to be written.

The Torah tells us to keep kosher, but doesn't tell us how. One more time, that's because Hashem told it to Moses and he relayed it to everyone else.

So, when did it get written down? After the destruction of the Second Temple, Rabbi Yehudah haNasi (haNasi means "the prince") wrote down the oral part of the law because he was afraid it would be forgotten because of everyone being separated and going into exile.

In the gemara the Rabbi's argue back and forth about various laws and a bunch of other stuff. And I shall leave it at that before I bore you to death. :] Anyway, here's a page of Talmud. It's written in what's called Talmudic aramaic. Have a great weekend! :]


4 comments:

Chana @ Lemon Lime Moon said...

Yes Talmud is like a law library where you find precidents in the law.
And example from American law would be Roe vs Wade.. an argument in law.
The Catholic church also has its "talmud" an oral law of traditions in addition to the bible and they call that when the pope speaks ex cathedra to make a ruling.
Cardinals argue the law back and forth too. It is why there could be a VAtican 2.
Protestants also have a Talmud.. oral law that says in some churches, no smoking, no card playing, women must wear long hair, dresses.. those are arguments decided upon outside the bible.

Unknown said...

Yes Lo threw a big shoe LOL. I love reading about the Torah and everything else you write that is so informative. Lynn and I are reading our Bible daily and are on the beginning of Exodus right now...Moses is born

Yochana said...

Lo: I pulled an "arab" and held Jeff up in front of me. He got hit by the shoe instead of me. I'll be released from the hospital tomorrow. I received 798 stitches. It was a gift from Jeff. I'm not telling Jeff how many because he'd add two more just for the heck of it.

My Road thru Life said...

Still to confusing to me. I've lost my powers of concintration over the years.