Tuesday, March 17, 2009

2nd post of day: Bindi update


(The boys at the vet and my lovely knee! They were hiding in the back of the carrier.  This carrier has also been Morris the Strays cubby for the winter.  I had it surround by hay and wrapped in a blue tarp with a heat reflective shield on the other side.)

Wow!  I knew Bindi's eye was extended and I knew it had to be infection behind it.  Last night, after the shot, it started going back to normal.  From the looks of it, it's got just a tiny way to go now.

Can't imagine the pain he was in waiting to get to the vet.  It gives us an idea though of how badly infected his mock tonsils were/are, that the side that was most infected and bleeding was so full of infection it was pushing his eye forward.  OUCH!

We seriously need a 24 hr/day, 7 day/wk clinic somewhere nearby.  An animal shouldn't have to suffer that long.  Or!  The vet shouldn't be that picky on emergency calls and think infection of that sort can wait till Monday.

Anyway!  Bindi is going in and out the door this morning and enjoying the sunlight, even though it makes him whince.  : )



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, had no idea Bindi was so bad. Glad you take them to the vet. Wish you had a clinic close too.

Chana @ Lemon Lime Moon said...

Glad the little guy is on the mend now
Can you get antibiotic to keep around?
When I had horses I had to keep combiotic around since it is not always easy for the vet to come out as quickly as he could. So they would give us emergency rations of it.

Yochana said...

I keep amoxicillin on hand, but I need to keep clavamox as well.

The problem was he needed the shot because of how bad he got.

What shocked me was how fast it happened. He literally went outside, came back later soak and wet.

I found him lying on the floor and immediately knew something was seriously wrong. When he comes in wet he always runs to me so I can dry him off.

Anyway, I dried him off and when he looked up at me his left eye was bulging. I freaked. He looked good when he left. Which freaked me out even more.

I didn't know which vet was on emergency duty. The main guys wife usually answers the phone and gets mad when people call. She's a pain in the neck. You're lucky if you can get her to pass the phone to her husband. So far I've had no luck.

Kelly (the other vet) will take it serious. He's great.

The amoxicillin did shrink the eye a bit by Monday, so that was good. It took the shot to shrink it almost to normal by nightfall.

Right now he's all snuggled up on my lap and kneading my leg. ouch. dang! and he farted. PPPPUUUU!!!

My Road thru Life said...

So glad to hear Bindi is feeling so much better. Hugs