Wednesday, May 27, 2009

early morning terror...

Mom was on her way to school, got to the end of the driveway and made a quick return.  With fear and trembling, she approached my open door and said, "There's a cat lying on the road.  What's going on with these cats?"

me:  "I don't know.  It's that time of year when everyone commits suicide."

Mom:  "It's gray."

me:  "WHAT???"

Mom:  "The cats gray, dead on the road."

me:  "BINDI!!!! BINDI!!!!  BINDI!!!!"

I'm running all out toward the road, angry that I hadn't kept an eye on Bindi this morning and mad at him for not staying away from the road.  He and the road are magnets.

I get to the end of the drive and there's a short haired gray cat.  He's been hit in the head, just enough to pretty much knock his eyes backwards.

I turn around and face the bridge.  "It's not fair!!!  It's just not fair!!!"  Bindi was going to be an orphan and not understand why.  I turned back to the poor little baby lying on the road.

me:  "Please don't have white paws.  Please don't have white paws."

I brace myself and look around his body.  I'm cursing my lousy vision and lean closer.  No white.

I turn back towards the bridge and walk to the cottage, fists clenched and shaking.  I call for the boys and eventually they show up before I arrive.  Mom looks out and sees the boys.

mom:  "Ok. There they are.  I'm leaving before I'm late for school."

The boys dodge mom's car as she backs around and I continue lecturing them on staying away from the road.

By the time I got back to bury the unknown cat, some stupid redneck had run over him again.  It was a purposeful hit.  The cat was clearly out of the way of the car.  I hate rednecks.

I scraped what was left off the road and buried the little fellow beside the other little fellow I buried last week.

At this rate - it's going to be a long Spring and I just may have to create a new cemetary.  This one is filling up with coons and unknown cats.





5 comments:

My Road thru Life said...

So glad it wasn't Bindi or any of your other cat's. You had me scared there for a minute. I'm glad you can train yours to keep away from the road. Keep training them. Hugs.

Unknown said...

Thank heaven it wasn't Bindi but I feel so bad for the one that was killed. I can't even imagine someone running over it again for now reason. Bless it's little heart.

Yochana said...

Judy, I keep taking them on the hill, still trying to teach them that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence and not the road. :)

Lo, me too. I wanted to get it buried before one of the kids across the road came home from school, stepped out there was their massacred cat. It was a heart-breaker.

mrsmel said...

Sure happy that it wasn't Bindi! I lost a beloved cat to a driver, once—a heart breaker! Hugs.

Chana @ Lemon Lime Moon said...

Glad to hear Bindi is safe.
I hate those kinds of people too.
Just awful to see it happen or even to hear of it.
Why are people so hard hearted?