Monday, April 20, 2009

Books I love! "Old Black Witch"


If ever there was a fun kids book - this was it!  Maybe it's because of the many hours I devoted to trying to turn my brother into a toad.

Maybe it's because it would have been super cool to have a freaky witch living in our attic - and her turning my brother into a toad!  Maybe she would have given me rides on her broom - or clobbered me with it because I was a pest. 

One thing I know that made this book so awesome, was the watercolour and pen ink drawings!  They were spooky and fun!

Anyway, the story goes like this.  A mother takes her little son, Nicky, to New England to find a place to start a little tea shop.  They get suckered into a broken-down house. 

When they arrive, Nicky lights a fire in the fireplace and an old black witch falls down the chimney, lands with a plump and begins yelling at Nicky for catching her broom on fire.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the witch finally surrenders to the fact that her home now belongs to Nicky and his mom and eventually helps her in the kitchen when the tea shop opens and on her off days heckled visitors from her attic bedroom window. 

My favourite part of the book?  Near the end two burglars sneak in and try to steal money from the tea shop....Old Black Witch turned them into green and brown toads.  LOL!!!!  I LOVE IT!







6 comments:

Unknown said...

How cute that sounds. I am a kid at heart when it comes to books like that. I love reading Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown books. They are mysteries by a woman and her cat. The characters in the book are people and animals that talk to each other.

Yochana said...

Cool!!! I went online to our local library to pick up "Cat on the Scent." If the weather holds, I might be able to pick it up tomorrow. :)

Chana(lemon) said...

A lot of so called kid's books are really underrated. They are good for all ages really.
I still enjoy rereading Little House on the Prairie series.

My Road thru Life said...

Sounds like a fun book. I just might have to look into that for some of my grandkids.

Shelley said...

Love it. My mom bought me the "sequel" which was "Old Witch and the Polka-dot Ribbon". I read that book until it eventually fell apart. These books have left a permanent impression on me.

Yochana said...

Yes! Another fan! They're such fun books. I have mine by my desk just to make me smile. : )

PS: Thanks for stopping by! : )