Monday, August 16, 2010

A Tribute to Bindi Sue

Bindi Sue
August 2006 - August 2010

Bindi has been missing since Friday.  He's never been gone this long and since Chubby passed on around the end of July, I thought I'd go ahead and write up Bindi's tribute.  If I'm lucky he'll show up after I post this.  I wrote Tiger's twice and he died two years later.  Hoping the same for this one.  : )

Anyway, Bindi & his siblings were born the month before Steve Irwin died.  I didn't have names for the kittens yet, so thinking Bindi was a girl (he was so hairy I couldn't tell), he was named after Bindi Sue Irwin, of whom was name after a crocodile.  And that's how Bindi became the boy name Sue.  (His sister was named Little Stevie.  Jeffie the Mighty was named after Jeff Corwin. Then there was the oddball, Pee Wee, named after a friend of the family.)
 
 

Bindi and Jeffie take a sip while out on our daily adventures.

Bindi loved to go on hiking trips.  Every time he saw me go near the gate to the lower pasture he dived under the fence and looked back to see if I was coming.  A number of chipmunks lost their lives on those trips.  He also loved the teepee.  
 
Bindi loved to curl up in the snow.
 

Then sit by the base heater to get warm.  Sadly, he kept singeing the hair off his tail and I had to ditch the base heater.


Bindi wishing everyone would get off his ironing board.

My beautiful BinBin.
Bindi out hiking.
Bindi asleep on my table.
This past year was pretty tough for Bindi.  November 2009, he managed to break his tail.  The vets said it's the worst break they had ever seen and were surprised Bindi lived.  It left his backside really tender and he'd cry out everytime one of the other cats touched him.  He also developed an allergy that led to his skin becoming scaley.  So, it's been a tough year.

The vet had told me before that if people want their pets to live - keep them indoors.  I tried for almost a full 4 years with Bindi, but he began to rebel.  Around May, I think, he finally got his way and I started letting him out at nite.  It was the only way to get any sleep, literally.  I hated doing it, but I hated not sleeping even more.

Kelly (vet) said the life expectancy of an outside animal is 1 - 3 years.  Bindi made it about 3.  It's really annoying how life goes.  Even among humans the good die and the jerks get to live long annoying lives.  Bindi was a sweetheart, and evil Kitty, jerky Spotty and that stupid black cat who keeps trying to beat up Jeffie live on. 
I miss you little buddy.

3 comments:

Chana @ Lemon Lime Moon said...

I hope Bindi shows up soon.
Bindi is a gorgeous cat.
You're right. The rotten ones go on and on sometimes and the good ones don't get enough time.

Yobeeone said...

Nope, my babies gone. I'm grieving and have a large hole in my heart. Jeffie's trying to find his brother. It's odd the things you say when someone dies. I looked down at Jeffie, hugged him and said, "It's just you and me now." Meanwhile, 15 other cats are roaming around, but Jeffie & Bindi are special. They came into my life right when I needed them and we became buddies.

Chana @ Lemon Lime Moon said...

Yeah. I know how that can be.
I am really sorry to hear he is gone.